Sunday, November 22, 2009

Better late than never

"I can't believe this"

These were my exasperated thoughts. I am stuck behind the slowest car on the road. They finally turn off the street, and I hit a red light. A big truck now comes out in front of me and it's a one lane road. On top of that, I already left 10 minutes later than I should have to get to church on time. No matter what I did, I could not win the race to get to church. I hit every single red light possible. "God must be teasing me" I thought, "Because I'm so angry at everyone for no reason."

I already know this about myself: I'm an impatient driver. People are more often IN MY WAY, than other drivers trying to get to where they are going. "I'm actually late this time," I thought "so I have a right to drive fast." But nonetheless, there I was, STUCK on my way to worship. This was no kind of attitude that the Lord would have me have.

Do you think God would put all those cars and red lights for me to teach me something? I think He would, because God is funny. Don't think so? The third car I was stuck behind (in the never ending chain of slow cars) had a license plate frame that said "Take it easy!" It made me chuckle and lightened my mood a bit. "That God is a funny one" I thought. The second thing I noticed on that car was the auto dealership sticker it was from: "Pride automotives". "Great," I thought. "My pride is brought up... the part of myself I wish I did not have but yet is so strong in me. Is my driving prideful?" More selfish if anything, but still my own goals superseded the ones of those around me causing me to view them as not human beings to love, but as obstacles to curse.

So I took it easy and enjoyed the rest of my drive, not caring if I got there on time. Still hit all the red lights, but it didn't really matter to me anymore. Turns out the entire band was late to get started with practice, so I was on time anyway. God saved my attitude.

So the moral is: If you don't think God can talk to you through a license plate holder, you should take Him out of that box you have Him in. God is trying to tell you all sorts of things if you pay attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment