Friday, November 6, 2009

Not To Be

Oh what do I inquire
that is my heart's desire
if I live lightly
would that be a lie?

A Persona's a mask
a hefty task
My facade's a joke
this is my yoke

But we're counting our losses
We're kicking down crosses
We're calling upon the name
but we're chanting in vain

Help me now to spread the news
put on your gloves, your hat, your ruse
Raise your hands and make a fist
Check brotherly love off your list

If we were to die tomorrow
would we return the life we borrow?
Or will we be caught dead asleep
our posts abandoned, but the yoke we keep?

But we're running the race
We're setting the pace
We're getting there fast, we're getting there first
But we're finding only an awful thirst!

Can we light our torches for candles to see?
Can we be more than just to be?
Shall I justify myself or just surrender?
This life lies past the pretender

My eyes are dimming, my thoughts like vapor
I am the law, the caped crusader
I can save you, if that's what you wish
But where I'll take you is worse than this

But we're clinging to our ornate crosses
We're keeping with them all our drosses
We're burning them now in refinery flashes
But we're covering our faces with the ashes!

No comments:

Post a Comment