Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Parable of the Architect

There was an Architect who had a grand design to build the most elaborate house anyone has ever seen, but he does not have the time to complete the task. He hires carpenters, masons, sculptors, artists, metalworkers, plumbers, electricians, painters, roofers, and landscapers to complete the task in his absence. He finances them and takes his leave to attend to other matters, but his workers in his absence do not do what he asked them too! Instead they spend his money to build their own homes. They ignore his supervisors and mistreat them, and when the Architect hears all of what is going on he is furious. "If these men whom I have chosen will not do my work, than I shall find men who will."

The Architect sent his son to fire the old workers and bring in all sorts of unskilled men and women to work on his house with the promise that whoever helps to build the house will have a room in it to live. The son came and announced this message, "Behold! My father has committed you to work on his house, but you've spent your wages on your own! As you have robbed my father, He will now rob you of your wages. Let anyone come to build this house which you have forsaken, anyone at all, for they will surely live in it. These are the Words of my father!"

The workers were furious with the son for firing them and they had him killed in spite as they left and buried him in the foundation. The poor, the hungry, and the meek heard the son's words before he died the word spread quickly amongst them. All sorts soon flocked to build his house for no wages except for the promise of his Father's word that they will dwell in it while those men who already built their own houses sat there in comfort saying "Look! We've already built our own homes! What need have we for his house?"

The new workers struggle to read the plans the Architect has set out, having only the words and guidance of the Architect's master apprentice. Much of what is done must be undone, much of what is gained is lost again as some do not listen to the apprentice and build the house their own way. The progress is slow, but steady amid arguments among the workers over the best way to build.

Some think to themselves "I do not want to live along side THOSE people coming now to build" and deny them saying "The Architect does not want you here!" Others say "The less people who build, the more space I will have!" and still others say "If I can make others build alongside me, then the quicker I will get to live in this house!" Few are the people who say to themselves "I will teach those around me what I have learned in how to build this house" and still fewer who say"I will build for the Architect who has promised me this place."

Nevertheless, despite their lack of cooperation and despite their imperfect obedience, despite their selfish intentions and despite themselves, the Architect's plan is being carried out. The house will be finished and there the Architect will dwell with his workers forever while those outside will look on with jealousy for it truly is the most magnificent house ever built.
Much love,
John Dao

P.S. This is how I like to reflect on God and my own theology. The analogies are not meant to be perfect analogies, but rather serve to highlight certain aspects of the story (like all analogies). Of course I do not mean this to be an overarching summary of ALL theology nor do I make claims this is an accurate representation of the Story of God, but like most parables I intend it to bring out one aspect.

1 comment:

  1. As one who is currently in construction, and deals with many unskilled workers everyday, this especially meant a lot. Thanks for the words, John. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete